Thursday, June 7, 2012

I owe Amy Hempel for a publication

I think I owe Amy Hempel one. Yesterday I received the news that I'm getting a short nonfiction piece published (that feeling will never get old). It took awhile but I realized that the original idea for the piece came from when Amy Hempel came to the University of Baltimore and talked about how she's interested in writing about what people do at work. That made me think about watching a lady ride by on her bike with a block of ice strapped to her back. This was, of course, in Southeast Asia.

Normally, writing about people on the job isn't something I tend to do. Maybe it's because that makes me think a little bit too much about being on the job (which is never writing -- apparently I don't see writing as a job. A calling instead, maybe?). But I can't tell you much about what I write about. It varies. As evident by the types of journals I look to submit to. Recently I realized I've written a literary science fiction piece. And learned the difference between soft science fiction and hard science fiction (the answer is to drop the word 'fiction' and it's basically writing that involves the "hard" sciences or the "soft" sciences). I've also submitted pieces to magazines that focus on health and healing. I guess it depends on what I've been thinking about lately. And that's also one of the things I love about writing -- it's always different.

Anyway, thanks Amy Hempel.

No comments:

Post a Comment